George McCartney has today accused the West Ham board of not telling the truth about his transfer request. He says he never made one.
McCartney also stressed that he would have been happy to stay at Upton Park. “I have seen on the West Ham website I handed in a written transfer request. I never did anything of the sort,” he said today ahead of his country’s World Cup qualifier against Slovakia. “Probably the board at West Ham are trying to cover their tracks. I did propose that for family reasons I would like to move back north. But the manager said no, I wasn’t leaving and just to concentrate on West Ham. I was happy to stay. That was on the Friday and I played my part in the Blackburn game on the Saturday.
“The thought of leaving was finished as far as I was concerned but then something changed. I got on an indication on Sunday that I could be on my way. These are strange times at West Ham and no one really knows what is going on at boardroom level.”
Well that certainly puts the cat among the pigeons.
UPDATE: The Club has just released the following statement…
West Ham United have responded to the claims made on Thursday by George
McCartney that he did not hand in a written transfer request.
Having previously declared their interest, Sunderland approached West Ham United at the end of last week with a renewed offer to sign the player. Both McCartney and his agent were made aware of this development. However, as was demonstrated by the rejection of a previous bid and with the subsequent agreement of a new five-year contract, West Ham United had no intention of selling McCartney. Following this offer from Sunderland, McCartney handed in a signed written transfer request on Monday 1 September which stated “due to private, family reasons I wish to accept the offer to move back to Sunderland AFC”. West Ham United are astonished by the claims made subsequently by the player that there was no written request to leave with McCartney having also
repeatedly spoken of his desire to return to Sunderland to both the manager and senior club officials. On Sunday 31 August, a senior club official wrote to McCartney stating: “No one wants to sell. If you are happy to stay, great, it ends here. I thought you were unhappy and wanted to go.” The
player then restated his desire to leave before handing in the written transfer request on Monday.
After the transfer was completed, McCartney spoke via whufc.com to confirm the reasons behind his departure. He said: “I had two great seasons with West Ham and I’d like to thank them for giving me the opportunity to play for a club with the history they have and their fantastic supporters. But
for personal reasons alone, this is the right move for me. “My wife, Elaine, didn’t settle in London and Sunderland have offered me the chance to return to the north-east, where I spent ten years after joining the club as a youngster.”
It’s quite simple. Why don;t they post a PDF of McCartney’s letter on the club website?